The University aims to minimise the likelihood of a fire occurring on its premises and reduce the impact of any fire on life, peoples safety, delivery of teaching, research, services, the environment and property.
Key points of this protocol are:
- Fire hazards are identified and controls included in activity risk assessments
- Identified roles are appointed based on local risk
- Fire precaution checks are carried out every 6 weeks and fire drills annually
- When the fire alarm is activated occupants evacuate the building until informed it is safe to return
- All staff and students have a fire safety induction and appropriate training
- No items in the list of prohibited articles (fire safety) are used on campus
- Fire Safety Managers are consulted on and approve all design projects/ major refurbishments/ alterations
- Building, Occupational, and DSEAR fire risk assessments
- Generic Emergency Evacuations Plans (GEEPS) and individual Personal Emergency Evacuation Plans (PEEPs) are in place.
Fire Safety Standard (PDF)