To enable staff to fulfil their roles safely, different levels of health and safety training, experience, knowledge and skills (competency) are needed.
Key points of this protocol are:
- New staff receive the health and safety information from the HR induction checklist and specific local inductions
- All staff are given enough time in working hours to do health and safety training.
- Each area has a local training matrix which includes, as a minimum, the training requirements identified in the University health and safety training matrix and any extra training needs.
- Staff may already have the necessary health and safety competency, but if not this can be gained by training courses, one-to-ones, mentoring schemes etc.
- If there is a gap between the health and safety competencies needed and what is achieved, extra training/ support should be identified, delivered, assessed and recorded.
- Records of health and safety training and competency assessment are kept.