Senior managers in leadership positions
- Ensure policy is appropriately reviewed.
- Give support to the implementation of the policy and associated procedures.
Heads of department / heads of service
- Ensure the need for first aid is assessed and addressed.
- Appoint competent people to deliver first aid requirements.
- Consider the need for first aid in situations such as fieldwork, halls of residence, overseas travel, sports facilities and events.
- Ensure appropriate resources are available.
Appointed person / first aid coordinator / local safety manager
- Take charge following illness or injury at work.
- Procure and maintain first aid equipment.
- Assess the first aid need for the area of responsibility.
- Liaise with other departments or employers when applicable to ensure adequate cover for a building during all regular hours of use. This includes those out of normal office hours.
- Liaise with the occupational health service on training for first aiders.
- Ensure appropriate records of first aid activity are kept.
- Ensure local information on obtaining first aid assistance is available.
- Ensure local information on how to recruit further assistance is available.
- Ensure all information is kept up to date.
- Ensure training of the required number of first aiders is accommodated.
- Respond promptly when requested.
- Operate within competence.
- Know how to secure additional help when needed.
- Report incidents and actions taken.
- Comply with requirements for certification.
Head of health and safety
- Audit departments’ provision and arrangements for first aid.
Head of the occupational health service
- Ensure the provision of training in first aid.
- Ensure the content of training is appropriate for first aid at work.
- Give advice and guidance on policy and process.
- Liaise with and advise those responsible for first aid when requested.
- Ensure certificated first aiders are entered on to the University’s record system.
- Ensure a recall system is operating.
- Give advice on assessments.
Head of security
- Ensure security staff are trained to meet the agreed needs of the University, especially outside regular hours.
- Ensure that departmental first aiders can be backed up.
- Liaise with emergency services when required.
Managers of residences, conferences and sports events
Will have responsibilities drawn from the above. The essential aim is the provision of appropriate first aid cover.