Trade Union Health and Safety Representatives will:
- Be nominated by their trade unions.
- Be informed of the introduction of any measure at the workplace which may substantially affect the health, safety or welfare of staff.
- Be respected as equal partners and invited to attend all health and safety committees.
- Report on any findings of health and safety inspections of the workplace; accident, incident investigations or cases of disease, ill health and dangerous occurrence.
- Report to the committee any consultation with inspectors from the Enforcing Authorities.
- Represent all staff as agreed between management and the campus trade unions.
- Consult with staff and bring their views on health and safety to the relevant committee’s attention
Deans and Directors of Services will:
- Attend the University Health and Safety Committee.
- Advice or report to the committee on agenda items as appropriate.
- Report any impending enforcement action being taken against the University.
- Make relevant information, senior managers and specialist advisers available to all committees to report on health, safety and welfare issues and initiatives relating to the University and other outside agencies if requested.
- Work closely with the Vice Chancellor and the Director of HR to assist in implementing the findings, initiatives and recommendations raised by the committee.
- Take responsibility for arranging and publicising the Faculty and Service Health and Safety Committees with sufficient notice as well as the facilitation, taking, recording & distributing minutes with the relevant administrative support.
- Chair the relevant Faculty or Service Health and Safety Committee.
- Monitor issues and effectiveness raised through School Committees.
- Note the occurrence of school, faculty and service committees along with any issues to be raised in a summary report to the University Health and Safety Committee
Heads of School will:
- Take responsibility for arranging, chairing and publicising the School Health and Safety Committees with sufficient notice as well as the facilitation, taking, recording & distributing minutes with the relevant administrative support.
- Chair the relevant School Health and Safety Committee.
Health and Safety Managers will:
- Attend Faculty and Service Health and Safety Committees where available also attend School Health and Safety Committees.
- Support staff to translate this guidance to enable practical implementation at local level.
- Give advice or report to the committees on agenda items as appropriate.
- Plan and report on a formal inspection schedule jointly carried out by the Health & Safety Managers and the Trade Union Health and Safety Representatives.
Health and Safety Officers will:
- Where appropriate, deputise for Health and Safety Managers and attend Health and Safety Committees.
- Give advice or report to the committee on agenda items as appropriate.
Health and Safety Co-ordinators will:
- Where appropriate, attend and take an active role in the School and Service Health and Safety Committees and feedback salient issues to the Health and Safety Manager.
- Report any issues, unsafe acts, faulty equipment or any other occurrence which could result in an accident or an incident in their school, service or faculty.