Heads of School/ Service responsibilities
Heads of School/Service ensure compliance, implementation, continual improvement and monitoring of the University’s health and safety management system and local arrangements.
On a day-to-day basis the management, detailed planning and implementation (but not the responsibility) of health and safety at a local level may be delegated to others (e.g. academic leaders, line managers, or academic tutors).
Heads of School/Service have the responsibilities outlined below; this is in addition to those accrued via other roles (e.g. member of staff, academic leader, line manager, or academic tutor):
- carry out the health and safety management roles delegated by their member of UEG
- demonstrate leadership and commitment within their school/ service for health and safety
- adopt and implement this Policy and the Health and Safety Protocols
- support the development of faculty/ service/school health and safety objectives, plans and local arrangements, ensuring these are communicated to staff and where necessary other parties
- work in partnership with Wellbeing Safety and Health and meet regularly with the Health and Safety Manager
- promote the importance of staff being involved in the consultation/ participation process to develop University Health and Safety Protocols
- ensure that effective risk assessment processes are in place and control measures implemented
- ensure that risk assessments are regularly reviewed, based on the level of risk
- fulfil the Head of School/Service requirements set out in the University’s Fire Safety Protocol at the Health and Safety webpages.
For support and advice, speak to your health and safety team or email email@example.com.
To help you understand how to put your responsibilities into practice we’ve produced leaflets based on your role/s in the University line management structure. See the link to ‘Guidance leaflets’ under the Contents section at the top of this page.