- Staff need to complete the three short online modules on the Britsafe platform.
- Post Graduate Researchers (PGRs) and taught students should see Student Online Training.
Online training modules
Britsafe: this self-led online training will guide you through staying safe in the workplace and is provided in partnership with the British Safety Council. The Britsafe package includes interactive activities and videos for:
- Fire Safety
- Manual Handling
- Display Screen Equipment (DSE):
- DSE includes two separate modules, one for training and one to help you carry out an assessment of your workstation setup.
- The DSE training prepares you to set up any workstation for comfort and safety and is therefore relevant for any location including working at home and on campus.
- As many staff are currently working in more than one location, please carry out the DSE assessment on the workstation you use for the majority of your time.
We have worked with our external provider (British Safety Council) to include as many accessibility features as possible. The training materials are compatible with popular screen readers and allow keyboard-accessible navigation. The videos which summarise the key points of the training are provided with a text transcript, or can be watched without sound using the closed captions function. To enable captions, start the video by clicking on the ‘play’ triangle (you may need to immediately pause it again initially) and select the ‘CC’ button at the lower right of the player window.
Help with your browser pop-ups: the training is delivered through a browser pop-up window, as commonly used in online training. To access it, you may need to allow a pop-up once or set up your browser to allow pop-ups from British Safety Council. There is a handy guide to doing this in Microsoft Edge in the ‘Downloads’ link at the bottom of this webpage. The function to allow this window to open is easy to find in other browsers (or you can find instructions via a search engine).
Further advice and support
If you have any questions about health and safety – either general queries or specific issues around fire safety, your workstation, equipment or training – please contact your local Health and Safety Manager/Officer.