- Staff need to complete the three short online modules on the Britsafe platform.
- Post Graduate Researchers (PGRs) and taught students should see Student Online Training.
Online training modules
Access the Britsafe platform here. This self-led online training will guide you through staying safe in the workplace and is provided in partnership with the British Safety Council. The Britsafe package includes interactive activities and videos for:
- Fire Safety
- Manual Handling
- Display Screen Equipment (DSE):
- DSE includes two separate modules, one for training and one to help you carry out an assessment of your workstation setup.
- The DSE training prepares you to set up any workstation for comfort and safety and is therefore relevant for any location including working at home and on campus.
- As many staff are currently working in more than one location, please carry out the DSE assessment on the workstation you use for the majority of your time.
We have worked with our external provider (British Safety Council) to include as many accessibility features as possible. The training materials are compatible with popular screen readers and allow keyboard-accessible navigation. The videos which summarise the key points of the training are provided with a text transcript, or can be watched without sound using the closed captions function. To enable captions, start the video by clicking on the ‘play’ triangle (you may need to immediately pause it again initially) and select the ‘CC’ button at the lower right of the player window.
Help with browser pop-ups
The training is delivered through a browser pop-up window, as commonly used in online training. Some browsers are automatically set to restrict pop-ups as these can display unwanted content. In order to open Britsafe properly, you may need to allow your browser to display pop-ups from Britsafe to access the training.You can do this by:
- Google Chrome: when opening a training module, an icon containing a red cross will appear on the right of the URL bar - click this to be given the option to allow pop-ups from this site.
- Microsoft Edge: if you use a laptop which has not been connected on campus recently then it may have missed a University-wide update to Microsoft Edge to automatically allow pop-up windows from the Britsafe platform. You can allow pop-ups from Britsafe by clicking on the icon with a red cross which appears on the right of the URL bar or you may need to follow the step-by-step enable pop-ups guide.
Further advice and support
If you have any questions about health and safety – either general queries or specific issues around fire safety, your workstation, equipment or training – please contact your local Health and Safety Manager/Officer.