The University’s move to become a Smokefree campus
The University of Leeds has now taken the first step towards becoming a Smokefree campus.
Would you like to arrange a presentation about the move to be a Smokefree campus at your local meetings? Contact the Smokefree team using the online Smokefree Campus form.
- Watch the 2 minute video relating to the Smokefree Campus move.
Share one of the two 60 second videos produced by students as part of a University-wide competition to inform students about the move to be a Smokefree campus. See the fantastic winning entries here:
- If you have questions, concerns, wish to support
the move or want to quit smoking, fill out the Smokefree Campus form.
- Look out for the foldout information cards available from email@example.com.
- See the text for use in induction or welcome materials along with posters, email signatures and other resources.
Why are we going Smokefree?
University is committed to the health, safety and wellbeing of its staff,
students and visitors.
have an opportunity to act as role model to young people, inspiring a
future Smokefree generation and supporting the Breathe 2025 campaign if a young
person does not take up smoking by the age of 26 they are much less likely
to become a smoker.
- As a research institution which also trains healthcare professionals, we know that smoking is the biggest cause of preventable death in England; if people never take it up as a habit (or choose to quit) there are many health benefits.
- We are reflecting
the changes in wider society the rate of smoking is reducing nationally
and only 14.4% of adults are classified as current smokers.
- We are aligning with the city partnerships to move towards a Smokefree culture and environment for all.
What were doing
Every day between 8am and 6pm, the University asks people not to smoke outdoors on the Smokefree campus.
You can still vape outdoors as Public Health England sees it an aid to quit smoking.
Smoking or vaping inside University buildings including entrances, covered walkways and doorways, or in vehicles when used for University business, is still prohibited.
Where is the Smokefree campus?
It covers all outdoor space on:
Main campus including LUU and all space within the boundaries of: Woodhouse Lane, Clarendon Road, Mount Preston Street, Leeds General Infirmary (LGI) and the inner ring road.
Leeds University Business School, (LUBS).
University-owned and managed Residences and sports grounds e.g. Sports Park Weetwood, Bodington Playing Fields.
For more information see the updated Smoking policy, the FAQs and the map of the Smokefree campus.