Homeworking and life balance
Ideas to help with happy homeworking
- Work out a routine that suits you and makes best use of the time when you feel most focused and energetic. Set yourself a start and finish time and stick to them.
- Ask for help if youre having problems with IT.
- See the practical advice on working from home from Health and Safety Services.
- Keep in touch with your colleagues. Use video or voice calls, text messages, MS Teams, WhatsApp, Zoom whatever suits you. If you feel that you need a chat, pick up the phone and give someone a ring.
- Prioritise 3 key tasks each day that you need to do. Break down big goals into smaller tasks and congratulate yourself when you achieve them.
- Take lots of breaks and find time to relax go for a walk, listen to the birdsong out of your window, make a cup of tea, do a mindfulness exercise.
- Dont worry too much if your work is interrupted by family, children or pets. Just see it as a chance for your workmates to really get to you know you!
- Learn something new - try one of the short courses from the Successfully managing change and working remotely collection available through the University's LinkedIn account.
- Make time to do the things you like doing - this could be a current hobby or a new one, maybe something you've wanted to try for ages but never had the chance.
- Find more ideas of how to get support for positive mental health and wellbeing.
If youre looking for ideas to entertain/educate the children (and you), try some of these:
- PE with Joe Wicks weekdays at 9am 30 minute sessions for kids and grownups too
- Maths for kids with Carol Vorderman - weekdays at 10am live maths classes for kids
- Lets go Live with Maddie Moate and Greg Foot - Weekdays at 11am science and nature videos
- David Walliams storytime weekdays at 11am
Get in touch! How are you staying health, happy and contented while working from home?
- Perhaps youve used cans of beans as exercise weights or walked 5000 steps around the house as a challenge each day?
- Maybe youve completed a new jigsaw, or tried a new skill?
- Found some useful links we should include in the site, tried out a Wellbeing idea, and want to share your opinion?
- Healthy Body keeping you fit and healthy.
- Mental Health and Wellbeing keeping your spirits up and finding support
- Campus and Community Wellbeing staying connected to colleagues, friends and family.