The University’s move to become a Smokefree campus
The University of Leeds has taken the first step to become a Smokefree campus.
Key Facts: the Smokefree Campus
- Watch the 2 minute video for staff or one of the winning entries from a student competition.
- If you have questions, concerns, wish to support the move, ask for some foldout information cards, or want to cut down or quit smoking, please complete the Smokefree Campus form.
Why are we going Smokefree?
University is committed to the health, safety and wellbeing of our staff,
students and visitors.
have an opportunity to act as a role model to young people, inspiring a
future Smokefree generation and supporting the Breathe 2025 campaign; if a young
person does not take up smoking by the age of 26 they are much less likely
to become a smoker.
- As a research institution which also trains healthcare professionals, we know that smoking is the biggest cause of preventable death in England; if people never take it up as a habit (or choose to quit) there are many health benefits.
- We are reflecting
the changes in wider society - the rate of smoking is reducing nationally
and only 14.4% of adults are classified as current smokers.
- The University is also aligning with the city partners to move towards a Smokefree culture and environment for all.
What were doing
- Every day between 8am and 6pm, the University asks people not to smoke outdoors on the Smokefree campus.
- You can still vape outdoors as Public Health England sees it an aid to quit smoking.
- Smoking or vaping inside University buildings including entrances, covered walkways and doorways, or in vehicles when used for University business, is still strictly prohibited.
Where is the Smokefree campus?
It covers all outdoor space on:
- Main campus including LUU and all space within the boundaries of: Woodhouse Lane, Clarendon Road, Mount Preston Street, Leeds General Infirmary (LGI) and the inner ring road.
- Leeds University Business School, (LUBS).
- Fairbairn House.
- University-owned and managed Residences and sports grounds e.g. Sports Park Weetwood, Bodington Playing Fields.
If you have questions, concerns, wish to support the move, request foldout information cards or want to quit smoking, complete the Smokefree Campus Form.