Although the extent will vary, most activities within the University of Leeds will involve some manual handling - lifting and carrying, pushing and pulling. Poor manual handling is one of the most common causes of injury at work, and following this protocol will help you avoid these.
Key points of this protocol are:
- Include manual handling activities, hazards and control measures in risk assessments if lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling activities will be carried out.
- Take part in training courses as directed to keep safe when carrying out manual handling.
- Use any manual handling equipment provided.
- Manage and maintain any work equipment related to manual handling.
- Report accidents/ incidents etc. related to manual handling using local systems
These bullet points are only a brief summary the Standard sets out what needs to happen across the University. To find out what you need to do, how to use this protocol and what the documents attached below mean to you, see the FAQs.