First Aid - Roles & Responsibilities
Senior managers in leadership positions
- Ensure policy is appropriately reviewed.
- Give support to the implementation of the policy and associated procedures.
Heads of department / heads of service
- Ensure the need for first aid is assessed and addressed.
- Appoint competent people to deliver first aid requirements.
- Consider the need for first aid in situations such as fieldwork, halls of residence, overseas travel, sports facilities and events.
- Ensure appropriate resources are available.
Appointed person / first aid coordinator / local safety manager
- Take charge following illness or injury at work.
- Procure and maintain first aid equipment.
- Assess the first aid need for the area of responsibility.
- Liaise with other departments or employers when applicable to ensure adequate cover for a building during all regular hours of use. This includes those out of normal office hours.
- Liaise with the occupational health service on training for first aiders.
- Ensure appropriate records of first aid activity are kept.
- Ensure local information on obtaining first aid assistance is available.
- Ensure local information on how to recruit further assistance is available.
- Ensure all information is kept up to date.
- Ensure training of the required number of first aiders is accommodated.
- Respond promptly when requested.
- Operate within competence.
- Know how to secure additional help when needed.
- Report incidents and actions taken.
- Comply with requirements for certification.
Head of health and safety
- Audit departments provision and arrangements for first aid.
Head of the occupational health service
- Ensure the provision of training in first aid.
- Ensure the content of training is appropriate for first aid at work.
- Give advice and guidance on policy and process.
- Liaise with and advise those responsible for first aid when requested.
- Ensure certificated first aiders are entered on to the Universitys record system.
- Ensure a recall system is operating.
- Give advice on assessments.
Head of security
- Ensure security staff are trained to meet the agreed needs of the University, especially outside regular hours.
- Ensure that departmental first aiders can be backed up.
- Liaise with emergency services when required.
Managers of residences, conferences and sports events:
Will have responsibilities drawn from the above. The essential aim is the provision of appropriate first aid cover.