Frequently Asked Questions

Click a question to reveal the answer.

A suite of documents which sit alongside the University Health and Safety Policy and provide detailed information on what you need to do to meet both legal and University requirements for different health and safety topics (e.g. fire safety, biological substances, fieldwork etc).


  • Standard – specifies what the University expects to be in place for Fieldwork. Each bulletpoint MUST happen and everyone needs to play their part in ensuring these requirements are met. Heads of School/ Service will set up systems and appoint staff into specific roles to make sure they happen; everyone else needs to carry out tasks and instructions to fulfil them. 
  • Guidance – this includes helpful information for each of the Standard bulletpoints to suggest one way of fulfilling the Standard. If you follow the Guidance you will achieve the Standard, but you may wish to amend it to fit with your own local processes. Your main aim still needs to be to achieve each of the bulletpoints in the Standard.
  • Procedure – the Procedure is listed in the Standard and therefore MUST happen. It sets out the steps which must be followed to carry out fieldwork.
  • Procedure on travel against FCO advice - sets out the process which MUST be followed if you plan to carry out a fieldwork activity to an area where the FCO advises against either ‘all travel’ or ‘all but essential travel’. This Procedure must also be followed if you are already on fieldwork in an area when the FCO advice changes to advise against ‘all travel’ or ‘all but essential travel’ whilst you are there.
  • Fieldwork Risk Assessment form – this form MUST be completed and approved before fieldwork is undertaken.
  • Guidance to complete the Fieldwork Risk Assessment form – helpful information to help you complete the form; for more advice or support ask your Health and Safety Manager.



  • Head of School/ Service – discuss the protocol (particularly the Standard and Procedures) with your Health and Safety Manager to make sure you have a system in place to fulfil the Standard.  Appoint people to fulfil any identified roles and provide them with training in line with the Training matrix.
  • All other staff and students - make yourself aware of and follow the arrangements / instructions/ processes that have been put in place in your school / service  - ask your Health and Safety Manager or Coordinator if you need more information or support.


By signing the risk assessment form the Academic leader / Academic Tutor/ Line manager are granting approval.

Review and update your assessment if anything changes. Note if FCO advice changes then the Travel against FCO advice Procedure must be followed.

As part of the University’s financial procedures all colleagues are asked, where possible, to book all travel through Key Travel. For more information see

Yes, please ensure there is a risk assessment in place for your travel, and the activity you are conducting, so that you can carefully consider the risks and determine the necessary control measures required to stay safe while working overseas, if you need assistance with this, please contact your health and safety manager or email

Talk to your Health and Safety Manager to determine if they are defined as hazardous or dangerous goods in relation to transport. If so, they will put you in touch with the Dangerous Good Safety Advisor for support.