Frequently Asked Questions
Click a question to reveal the answer.
A suite of documents which sit alongside the University Health and Safety Policy and provide detailed information on what you need to do to meet both legal and University requirements for different health and safety topics (e.g. fire safety, biological substances, fieldwork etc).
- Standard - specifies what the University expects to be in place for the management of asbestos. Each bullet point is a must happen and everyone needs to play their part in ensuring these requirements are met. Heads of School/ Service will set up systems and appoint staff into specific roles to make sure they happen; other people need to carry out tasks and instructions to fulfil them.
- Head of School / Service Guidance As the Standard includes specific requirements for certain role holders (e.g. Director of Estates), the HoSS Guidance includes and explains these. The HoSS (with your Health and Safety Manager) can decide what additional roles, systems and local arrangements need to be in place, with support from this Guidance.
- General Guidance provides general information and supports people in understanding what is required. It is written centrally for everyone, and therefore there will probably be extra arrangements / instructions/ processes, written locally for your school / service. You need to check what these are - your Health and Safety Manager or Coordinator should be able to tell you more.
- Training Matrix to ensure people are provided with the right health and safety competencies to fulfil their roles, most Standards list a Training matrix which identifies the minimum training / level of competency required for that topic. As the Training matrix forms part of the Standard it is a must happen.
- Gallery of images some photographic examples of equipment containing asbestos taken around the University.
- Key contacts a list of important contacts you should speak to if you have any questions or concerns around asbestos.
- Head of School/ Service discuss the protocol (particularly the Standard, HoSS Guidance,) with your Health and Safety Manager to make sure you have a system in place. Appoint any additional roles required by the standard and provide them with training in line with the Training matrix.
- All other staff and students - make yourself aware of the arrangements / instructions/ processes that have been put in place in your school / service - ask your Health and Safety Manager or Coordinator if you need more information or support.